Nigeria recorded its first Ebola case on July 20 when a Liberian-American, Patrick Sawyer, came …
At Diamond Woman, we are advocates for women’s issues and we believe that women should stand up for their rights. The Diamond Woman Trust provides a unique opportunity for women to help other women achieve their full potential. The main goal of the Diamond Woman Trust is to empower, uplift and educate women.
Every quarter, registered members of the community would be encouraged to cast their votes, make donations and play a part as volunteers to a charity or cause of their choice.In support, Diamond bank would also contribute its resources to the winning cause or charity of the quarter.
Let’s help shape lives today by joining the Diamond Woman community.
Vesicovaginal Fistula (VVF)
VVF occurs when the blood supply to the tissues of the vagina and the bladder is restricted during prolonged obstructed labour, the tissues die between these organs, forming holes through which urine can pass uncontrollably.
Rectovaginal Fistula (RVF)
RVF occurs in a similar way to VVF however, holes form between the tissues of the vagina and rectum, leading to uncontrollable leakage of faeces.
- Prolonged labour (obstetric fistula)
- Hysterectomy, cancer operations, radiation therapy and cone biopsy
- The laparoscopic (minimally invasive) approach
- Transvaginally or Laparoscopically
Possible Complications of Surgical Treatment
- Recurrent formation of the fistula
- Injury to ureter, bowel, or intestines
- Vaginal shortening
Domestic violence is more than “ the inflicting of physical injury by one member of a household on other member(s) of the household. Domestic violence is now more broadly defined to include “all acts of physical, sexual, psychological or economic violence” that may be committed by a person who is a family member or a person that has been an intimate partner or spouse, irrespective of whether they lived together or not.
Forms of Domestic Violence
- Physical abuse (hitting, kicking, biting, shoving, restraining, slapping etc)
- Sexual abuse
- Emotional abuse (Controlling or domineering)
- Psychological abuse
- Economic deprivation AMONG OTHERS
General warning signs for Domestic Abuse
People who are being abused may:
- Seem afraid or anxious to please their partner
- Have very low self-esteem, even if they used to be confident
- Show major personality changes (e.g. an outgoing person becomes withdrawn)
- Be depressed, anxious, or suicidal
SPEAK UP IF YOU SUSPECT DOMESTIC VIOLENCE OR ABUSE.
What is Depression?
Major depression is a mood state that goes well beyond temporarily feeling sad or blue. It is a serious medical illness that affects one’s thoughts, feelings, behavior, mood and physical health. Depression is a life-long condition in which periods of wellness alternate with recurrences of illness.
Symptoms of Depression include:
- Loss of interest in activities once enjoyed
- Withdrawal from social activities
- Inability to concentrate
- Disrupted sleep
- Fatigue or loss of energy
- Appetite changes
- Thoughts of suicide
- Talk to someone
- See a doctor
- Get involved in fun activities
The Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) is a lentivirus that causes the Acquired ImmunoDeficiency Syndrome (AIDS) , a condition in humans in which progressive failure of the immune system allows life-threatening opportunistic infections and cancers to thrive. Without treatment, average survival time after infection with HIV is estimated to be 9 to 11 years, depending on the HIV subtype.
Ways of Transmission include:
- Blood transfusion
- Sexual intercourse
- Via sharp objects previously used by an infected person
Teenage pregnancy is pregnancy in human females under the age of 20 at the time that the pregnancy ends. A pregnancy can take place in a pubertal female before menarche (the first menstrual period), which signals the possibility of fertility, but usually occurs after menarche. In well-nourished girls, menarche usually takes place around the age of 12 or 13.
Effect of Teen Pregnancy
- Biological: May lead to Vesicovaginal Fistula (VVF)
- Psychological: Reduced self-esteem
- Soci-economical: Poverty and reduced chances of self-development
Cause of Teen Pregnancy
- Lack of sex education
- Social vices e.g illegal drugs
- Unavailability of contraceptive
- Lots of awareness on sex education
- Lots of awareness on the effects of indulging in social vices
- Availability of contraceptives